Wednesday, May 13, 2015

"Eros" 1 Million Dollar Sculpture


The hollow bronze head is 12 feet long, 7 feet tall and weighs about 4,000 pounds.
Made in 1999 at the artist’s studio in the northern Italian city of Pietrasanta, the sculpture is a poetic evocation of the beauty, suffering and fragility of human life.

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is asking the public to help pay for this $1 million sculpture by Polish-born Igor Mitoraj in celebration of the museum’s 100th birthday this year.
It has already raised more than $300,000 and is hoping to raise the rest in contributions of any size — including pennies from kids. There will be donation boxes in the museum, a dedicated website, cellphone links and special events during a gala weekend June 26-28. Go here to learn about this project. (Credit: Minneapolis Institute of Arts)

11 comments:

  1. Gosh that's a wonderful sculpture Kate.. strong yet vulnerable at the same time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing sculpture. I hope the museum does raise the funds to pay for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm. i'm not appreciating it enough for a million dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be a grand addition to the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's brilliant! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's visually striking... hopefully the campaign works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting and pricey piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting sculpture and the fund raising seems unique to me. I don't think I've seen it done that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry, but this just isn't all it's cracked up to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I. Think it is very unusual. I hope they raise the money.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!