Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Theme Day-March, 2011-My Favorite Part of Town-Drake Gallery


Drake Gallery... this small gem is part of St. Paul Academy, where I taught in the Humanities and English Department for 28 years.  On the first floor you can see paintings that were part of an exhibit when I first took this photo and posted it on November, 2006...shortly after I first started blogging with CDP!! The second floor houses a first-class library.  The gallery is the place where the Apple-a-Day paintings by Joy Liberman (Lower School art teacher), which I recently posted many times were exhibited. It's my favorite part of town...when I go to the art exhibits the images usually feed my soul and lift my spirits plus I get to see my former colleagues.  Alas, I do not know any of the students anymore except some of my former darlins' who are now either in Administration or on the faculty and staff.

And here is the February/March exhibit of Joy's paintings; hurry over because they'll be taken down on March 11.
Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
”Art washes from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -- Picasso.

18 comments:

  1. un bel endroit culturel, bon choix pour le theme du mois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great space, Kate. I can spend a full day there

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gallery with Joy's paintings is wonderful and I can see why you selected this for your theme photo. The visual delight plus an opportunity to visit with friends and former colleagues makes it a place to visit quite often. Very nice, my friend.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea to choose a creative space for your favourite part of town. So much light here and a great place for Joy to exhibit her beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. A heart-warming personal connection to the space.

    Julie's mother taught for many years until she retired about 10 years ago. I have never heard her speak of going back to the elementary schools where she taught. They certainly did not have the ambiance you shared with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gallery is always a good choice. Love the apple series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderful place to "hang out" and absorb the artistic atmosphere. Wonderful choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to get down there to see this. It looks like a great space. Love the Picasso quote. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed Joy's work as well. Nice to see it as it hangs. This looks like a wonderful place to spend time. I'd love to see it with you!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed that you worked there and still consider it a favoutite place. (Only kidding) Galleries are wonderful places to spend quality time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be the perfect place to go on a cold and snowy day, or a hot and humid one, when being out of doors is not a good option. I could spend some serious time in this place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had dinner with my (step) cousin and her husband last night. Tony (physics teacher) said that he's not teaching children of former pupils, one of whom said "You got my mother expelled, Mr Jackson" To which Tony replied "No, Bruce. Your MOTHER got your mother expelled..."

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like a great place to spend a large part of your teaching career. It is an honor to your school to have you feel that the school is your facorite part of town.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice. Bet it looks great at night all lit up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful and a great choice for Theme Day! I work at a large university and the building I am in has an art gallery. I like to wander around in there during my lunch breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Beautiful pictures. A gallery as favorite place - great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a very nice-looking gallery. I don't think I ever visited St. Paul Academy. Must be fun meeting former students who have distinguished themselves in various ways.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the windows and the modern feel. Bet this is a wonderful place for teachers and students.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!