Thursday, March 17, 2011

Classmates




In addition to Michael Simon's pottery, an accompanying gallery exhibited work, "Classmates,"  by four ceramicists who studied at the University of Minnesota with Simon in the late 1960's. If you missed the background information on this incredible retrospective, click here. The pieces above are the work of Sandy Simon, Michael's first wife who now operates an art gallery in Berkeley, California.
(An appropriate choice for St. Patrick's Day!)



An Irish Blessing
(A Blessing from St. Patrick)
 
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields,
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
 
(Traditional Irish Blessing; origin unknown,
although some attribute it to St. Patrick.)

15 comments:

  1. une très belle théière

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shapes and the color...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice pieces and yes, appropos to the day. So, a Happy St. Patrick's Day to you! I think we're going to go drink green beer this evening. Whoopee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the favorite of the St. Patrick's Day posts I have seen. A fiting combination of color, friendship and ceramics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful teapots! Happy St Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful color on these pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Capturing art through art; I too enjoy museums and galleries to study and view other's creations. A source of inspiration to me. Happy St. Patrick's Day. This year, I am staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post for St. Patrick's day. I forgot it was today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love functional art as you are showing today... I am catching up on my reading and the background of Mr. Simon. This is a beautiful glaze!

    G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what lovely pottery and such a beautiful shade of green. Perfect for today of course although confess I've only just discovered it's St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:21 PM

    Green for St. Padraig, very fitting, Kate. My favorite is the bowl. Thanks for visiting auckland-west via jb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pottery the last few posts - I wasn't familiar with Michael Simon's work - it is quite good. Thanks for these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are very good ceramic pieces. And, the green pieces are nicely selected for St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for your visit today and for the Irish words. I am or Irish heritage but I suppose I know very little of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love this green St. Patrick's Day pottery! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kate,
    I'm just catching up on your blog again!
    It's really interesting.... all these different styles from these former classmates. It's also really fun to see potters recognized as true artists! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!