Monday, March 14, 2011

"Potter's Homecoming"






The headline "Minnesota-born Michael Simon returns from Georgia to the Northern Clay Center for a career retrospective" caught my eye. This article  in our local newspaper claimed that "Simon is one of his generation's more influential potters" so I had to see for myself.  On Saturday the Clay Center's galleries and showroom were wall-to-wall people when I got there, and after spending a short time viewing his work, I decided that the description of the artist's reputation was not hyperbole, but well-deserved. The top pot has a horse design and the bottom shows a frequent bird motif that he uses.  Tomorrow I'll show you more of his work plus other pots in another gallery that featured artistic creations of ceramicists who studied at the University of Minnesota with Simon in the late '60's. (I'm going back again next week, hoping that the crowds will be gone so I can take my time looking, and looking, and looking!)












"Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable. " ~George Bernard Shaw

13 comments:

  1. belles poteries, j'aime beaucoup la deuxieme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life truly has gone to pot! Just kidding! I love these things. My mother worked in clay once upon a time but I never could get the hang of it. Our son, when a teen, dug up some old pots from a riverbank in Pennsylvania. I think he's still got 'em.

    You'd love Cedar Key!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ..., but I'm especially happy to see that you are quite active and that you have somehow forgotten Mexico! Hope things are going well for your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you take us along on your art quests! These pots are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is beautiful. I love pottery. The colors that come out of the kiln after a firing amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. He does seem to be a talented potter. I'll check in on your later pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate,
    Thank you so much for the email & quote! You are right, I love his work...
    how lucky you are to see it in person!! I googled him, so I could see more!
    I enjoyed reading about his life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see these and great quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simon has talent, that's for sure! I very much like the shape of the pot, the colours of the glazes he used and the motif.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love ceramics. I had collect them. Had lived in Menorca Spain with a Swiss potter, meat in London. He gave me the love of it. have a lot in my flat. Since them, have to keep money to buy beads to create my necklaces... since 30 years.
    Can see them on my site. Clic on the photos on my blog, please.
    have a nice day.
    Hello from Lausanne Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In London, I have met most of the well known potters of that time. Lucie Rie, Yan Goffre, Hans Cooper... and many others. Now, I go to museums to see they pots. Make me strange !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!