Sunday, November 05, 2006

Opening My Eyes!


My wanderings around the city to find subjects for this blog has not only opened my eyes and made me aware of my surroundings, but it also has awakened in me an interest in St. Paul's history. What a gift this has been! This neon sign is in a building which originally was the Angus Hotel. As a small boy my husband used to go there to get haircuts. It now houses condos, restaurants, a new independent bookstore, and shops of all kinds. Perhaps I'll start another career--Kate, the historian!

Today in MN History: 1905- Minneapolis saloons close their doors for "dry Sunday," and no liquor is available for purchase within the city limits.(Historical information taken from the MN Historical Society's website: mnhs.org)

10 comments:

  1. I love neon as much as murals. Also love your new photo...woo, woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:31 AM

    the same here Kate =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, you might start a career as a tour guide in your great city. I have thought more than a few times about doing something like that here. This daily photo blogging is providing some good education for that eventuality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting tidbit of Minneapolis history... For a hard-drinking town like Minneapolis, I bet the "dry Sundays" law wasn't met with much approval by some...
    I grew up in a small town, Pacific Grove, that somehow managed to stay dry until the 1960's... Oh, almost immediately came the town's first stoplight... Drunken progress?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate tu peux devenir historienne de St Paul. ton "Today in MN History" est un rendez vous journalier agreable.
    Bonne histoire et belle photo

    Kate you can become historian of St Paul. your “Today in MN History” is one make daily pleasant.
    Good story and beautiful photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe me Kate, I had no idea when I started that I would learn so much. Glad you are getting something out of this daily posting gig too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking for a daily photo make us find things that daily routine didn't let us.

    Greetings from Barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are continuing your teaching career too as you teach us the history of your city. Makes me want to visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shot of neon.. :) :) Your exposure was just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:20 AM

    a very busy sign! i must confess I'm a sucker for neon signs as well ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!