Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Dancing School!!

This rather austere building on Holly Avenue once was a boarding school for girls. Scott enrolled in a dancing school here (bet it was his mother's or grandmother's idea!). Because his grades were not very good, he was expelled from St.Paul Academy and enrolled in an Eastern boarding school at age 15. Until he entered Princeton, he was home only for the holidays.
Reference: http://home.comcast.net/~caudle2/fscotwlk.htm)

Today in MN History: 1860 - Telegraph service reaches Minneapolis. (Historical information taken from the MN Historical Society's website: mnhs.org)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, I am reminded, by your post today, of my own attendance at a dancing school or cotillion when I was just a girl. The boys who were made to attend were markedly miserable.

    Perhaps F. Scott enjoyed dancing. I hope so, for his sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 AM

    That's funny, Kate. BTW, I wonder why he was expelled from that school? If it's in one of your posts, forgive me! I love seeing these houses and buildings related to Fitzgerald's life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:37 AM

    Art is in his blood. i wish someone had enrolled me into dancing school..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:32 AM

    great detail of his life Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This building may be austere, but is has appeal. I would love to see inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No dancing school experiences from me. But I will be at the Dance Studio every Wednesday for high impact cardio exercises :-) which is in 5 hours time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. a nice place for dancing and music... this summer i'll learn to dance "marinera" (a peruvian dance)

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:41 PM

    Like the today in history bit Kate.. good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!