Saturday, October 05, 2013

Minnesota Workers #4 & 5-An Apple a Day...


The first official day of fall was a perfect time to visit Aamodt's Orchard.  On that day the sunny sky and pleasant temperature motivated us to make our annual visit to this family farm that has expanded its business over the years to include a snack bar, a winery on the premises, canned apple products (jams, apple butter, salsa), pies and pastries, an outdoor playground for children, and hot air balloon rides.

While I decided which apples to select from a wide variety, I talked to two Stillwater High School students who are working at the orchard's store for the first time this year.  Sam, on the left, is a junior whereas Matt is in his senior year.  Both young men gave me good advice and helped me select the best variety for apple sauce. When I asked their post high school plans, Sam indicated that since he is still a junior, he's concentrating on just finishing school.  Matt would like to go to the University of Wisconsin, Madison.  I laughed and said it's a big campus and huge transition for a freshman and to beware because it has a reputation for being a big party school.  Matt's eyes lit up so I guess this hard working lad plans to combine and balance both academics and pleasure!


Incidentally, my crockpot-cooked-overnight applesauce was delicious!  I think I'm due for  another apple run!

18 comments:

  1. yeah, madtown is just that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Lois' sister sometimes send us Honey Crisps they get in Apple Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picking apples is a rite of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought back fond memories of trips to the orchard when I was a child growing up in Illinois. We always looked forward to the apple cider and later, mom's apple pies. Your apple sauce sounds tempting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely apples! have a great fal!!

    love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I miss the apple farm we used to visit in Quincy where I grew up. My favorite thing was fresh made apple cider. What a treat. The bottled kind just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you solidified Matt's decision to go to that University! :)

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography


    ReplyDelete
  8. Today's post brings back plesant memories of Sunday afternoons picking apples and spending time near an orchard's cider press. Mmmmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What nice way to celebrate the first day of fall. Engage some young men in their future plans and purchase delicious looking apples!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh! Apple sauce! Good idea! I'm trying to find apples not colonized by wasps (one hitched a ride on something I brought in yesterday) and that sounds like just the ticket. (What variety did you get?)

    Social plans and college are much easier to visualize than hitting the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey Crisp are my hands down favorite. I got seconds for the applesauce and prime for eating. I tried a different kind yesterday for applesauce and although mighty tasty it wasn't as good. I had shared the earlier batch with a friend who described it as "smooth and divine!" This time I used brown sugar and it wasn't as good. . . too strong.

      Delete
  11. Such handsome lads! From what I've heard, it was an amazing year for apples all over the midwest. We've got 2 trees in our backyard and it's been the best year EVER. A bumper crop to give away, freeze, & for pies, crisps, & muffins. Oh - and just plain eating, too. (If you were closer, I'd share a basket!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm impressed that you make your own applesauce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these orchards, it sounds like the peach orchard down here. Just going is an event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You "warned" him that Wisconsin is a party school? Hah! That sounds like a recommendation to me! I checked. Wisconsin alumni and faculty have earned 19 Nobel prizes and 34 Pulitzer prizes. Some other schools would take that record. (And the parties.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big party school back in the 1920s maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing like a good Fall apple.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah! To be young again. :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!