Monday, March 25, 2013

Beads on Cannon


 Jo owns Beads on Cannon in Charleston, SC. The shop originated as a jeweler and watch maker's store in 1850 so it is appropriate that it now should hold Jo's well-stocked shop for customers interested in making jewelry. Her amazing inventory contains beautiful beads from all over the world as well as vintage gems from the 30's and 40's. After a professional career as a middle school librarian, Jo entered this business and went back to school and studied Chinese for 3 years to make it easier to talk to vendors from Asia when she was at market, looking for more beads for her store. Born in New Jersey, she has lived in Charleston for 30 years...guess she likes it here!

15 comments:

  1. You are into portraits I see. A nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, talking about going the extra mile. What a great entrepreneur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see some of those vintage beads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has a lot of verve! And seems to be undaunted by challenges. Which explains, of course, how she stayed so long in the middle school arena! I get beads of sweat across my brow just thinking about middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like she's found something she really enjoys. I love looking at handcrafted jewelry so I wish I had the talent to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A happy fun smile on Jo's face. I believe the climate, and living in Charleston, agrees with her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fine portrait, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! an enterprising, bright woman! much success wished to her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice portrait! Are you still keeping count? If so, what are you up to these days?

    ReplyDelete
  10. how cool to own a shop that is housed in a building with such history! best of luck to her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't Jo have a nice relaxed expression. Lovely portrait, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be such fun to explore her store!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for her. Chinese I think would be difficult. Sounds like she is following her dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll bet she loves her job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super portrait Kate, well done to Jo, bet learning Chinese wasn't so easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!