Wednesday, October 05, 2011

ABC Wednesday-L-: Louise Erdrich's Birchbark Bookstore



Susan is the manager of the Birchbark Bookstore, which is owned by writer Louise Erdrich (pronounced: errd-rick). Close to Lake Calhoun,  it is nestled in a neighborhood next door to a cafe. Very convenient for book and coffee lovers. If you are a Twin Cities resident, take yourself over there to meet Susan who is an animated booklover who wants to help customers make connections to books they might love. If you're lucky, Louise might be there. The necklace Susan is wearing and which I admired comes from Santo Domingo Pueblo midway between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM. Another "small world" experience since I just attended the Pueblo's Annual Arts and Craft Fair in September. The earrings I bought at that very same Pueblo are not quite as spectacular as Susan's necklace. Alas!  But I walked out of the bookstore with books!  To see more ABC Wednesday photographs, go here!

17 comments:

  1. sympa la rencontre avec cet ecrivain

    ReplyDelete
  2. a writer with a bookstore. a permanent busman's holiday. - or buswoman's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good bookstore. Too bad they are becoming rarities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many book stores have closed, it's good to see one open for business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be tough for bookstores in today's economy. It is nice to browse in a book store. heard of anyone dropping by to browse in an Amazon warehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love small bookstores where the staff love books and not just the paycheque.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect choice, Kate!
    Birchbark is on my Minneapolis visiting list. thanks

    Happy Wednesday--aren't you loving our weather this week :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kind of place! I'd be there often if I was a denizen of the Twin Cities again. Interesting story about the necklace connection!

    Truth is I need to avoid these bookstores. I keep buying books and I have no place to put them!

    Question: What with the cold of winter approaching shouldn't you be on your way to Santa Fe (or Mexico) now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh any place that is surrounded by books is like paradise to me! Susan sounds lovely and looks very charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank heavens for small bookshops Kate, still places to go and browse and smell the books (that's not rally as odd as it sounds!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love small bookshops but one owned by a writer now that is a gem.
    Joy, ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  12. Books, earrings? You got lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. At a friends sneaking on the internet real quick. I really like her necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a treasure of a place, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:21 AM

    MKOP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to see a non-chain bookstore. They are becoming very rare here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the smell of a bookstore is llike perfume to me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!