Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Random Acts of Poetry


During the Little Free Library festivities last Saturday in Minnehaha Park in Minneapolis poetry readings were conducted throughout the day by young volunteers.  Of the three poems offered by this young woman, I chose one by Shel Silverstein. The following poem is not the one that was recited to me but since our weather this past week had not been terrific, I chose this one by Silverstein for you instead. (Tip: If you want to buy a book for a child, get Silverstein's poetry.  I guarantee that you gift will be a success!)

Rain by Shel Silverstein
I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

9 comments:

  1. This truly is a different concept that is all new to me. I think it would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice portrait and a fun event. As you might imagine, I like Shel Silverstein and would have enjoyed this immensely. Re Baptist churches - there are some in the Twin Cities but they are mostly American Baptists (a world of difference from Southern Baptists). In our relatively small community, we have over 200 Baptist churches and more are cropping up all the time. YIkes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that poem. What a great event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poetry, and a good portrait! Regarding your question at my post, that building's the National Gallery of Canada, always worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like fun! I love the poem that you shared and the portrait of the young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have loved this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! My kids loved Silverstein and memorized several of his poems, mainly because we read them so often. Not that one though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!