Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hawk Ridge in Duluth, Minnesota USA


Tens of thousands of raptors pass over Lake Superior in the fall, and Hawk Ridge in Duluth is the best place to watch. During migration in September and October, the birds do not cross Lake Superior but rather travel along the bluffs at the southern end of the lake, soaring high when their flight then becomes effortless by rising columns of warm, rising air: the thermal effect. To read more of the history of Hawk Ridge, click here.

The collage records some of the activities that takes place on week-ends during the birds' migration when people from all over the country (and some birders from outside the United States) come to watch and photograph the soaring birds. Experts are available to instruct the onlookers, birders record their life lists, and photographers have a field day. Earlier some of the hawks are netted, banded, and then offered for "adoption." Those who adopt a bird for a small fee are then given the privilege of releasing the raptor, giving back its freedom.

8 comments:

  1. I'm just getting into birding. Fascinating creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beau montage et belle photo du faucon.
    nice assemblage and nice photograph of the hawk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool program! That poor hawk doesn't look too happy though. Hopefully he was on his way to being released.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see there are quite a number of cameras all ready to go. I would have like to have been there, but its too far off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see this, it is very interesting but I think that you have to be there to appreciate the whole thing. Nice photos and very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Oh my. I would give my eye teeth to be there and hold that Sharp Shinned Hawk like the guy is doing. A small hawk but beautiful. Unless, of course it is something else, but it looks like one to me.

    Thanks for stopping at what used to be Brookville Daily Photo and for the comment you left there about the decorated envelopes. I will have to create a blog as the name of it now does not apply to the title or the URL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duluth is beautiful. However, I never knew about this program. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Article. Thanks for the program update. You should get in touch with the bizymoms Duluth community to feature these on their page. It’s free and the moms will love them

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!