Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wow! What a Night!




On Wednesday, September 26, Sherman Alexie appeared on the stage at the Fitzgerald Theatre in downtown St. Paul as featured writer for the Talking Volumes program. What a terrific evening--probably one of the BEST performances of any living writer that I have attended. The man is a master showman, a real comedian in his own right. The place was packed and laughter ruled the evening. In the past I've seen him elsewhere (Macalester College) but he was in rare form last night and surpassed any other performance of his that I had witnessed!! If you haven't seen his movie, Smoke Signals, or have read any of his books and poetry, I highly recommend this talented writer. Read a bit more about him and his work in this Wiki article.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:34 PM

    I read his story about the link, you gave. It`s amazing and interesting.
    thank you for telling this, it`s also encouraging story for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate I will take note of Smoke Signals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know about him - I had no idea who he was. He sounds like a fscinating person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know what he looked like before this photo, Kate, and I think he looks exactly like he should. He is funny, and sometimes quite poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, I was there, too! It was my birthday, and going there was my birthday gift. What a great evening! He was amazing. I bought his two most recent books and already finished one today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to look at the link just as soon as I finish this. It sounds like something I need to persue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:03 AM

    Interesting post. I have not heard of him but then I am not a big fan of poetry though I have tried to be over my lifetime. I will have to do some research and learn more about him since he does things for or about Native Americans. Some of my roots are there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd not heard of this writer but having read his profile on Wiki plan on reading some of his work in future. Thanks for this - looks a total bundle of energy and enthusiasm. What a difficult beginning he had to his life. Amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate you really make this evening sound terrific. I'm off to read the link now, and I'll remember the name of the movie.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate, you asked about the Amish buggy.. Yes I posted some on June 17th. Just click on my June archives and go to the 17th you will see different photos of their buggy's there.

    Here's the link for June postings.
    http://discoverpa.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!