Monday, December 05, 2011

Cruel and Unusual Treatment-Camera Critters





On Saturday while shopping I came upon this "Christmas scene" which infuriated me.  One of our local hardware stores sponsored having this animal in a small temporary encloser on a sidewalk as a holiday gesture as part of Grand Meander (a holiday shopping fest on Grand Avenue inSt. Paul).  I quietly objected because of the size of the pen which allowed the animal only to walk in circles, and to be exposed to bystanders and the frightening noise of passing cars.  When I spoke to the owner/handler, I was told that it was "okay, cuz' they're just like dogs."  Some of the pedestrians admiring the reindeer with their children in tow looked askance at me as though I was some sort of lunatic. I wouldn't keep my dog in an enclosure this size nor would I put her on display as was done with this reindeer.  I shall lodge a formal complaint with the hardware store where we USED TO do all of our business.  Bah Humbug!!


14 comments:

  1. Sad thing for such a beautiful creature.
    About the last day music, was Erik Satie - Gymnopedie No. 1 by Jacques Loussier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree. Never thought of deer as being just like dogs, strange justification. Like badger baiting, some things are just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want us to sign a petition Kate I'm there!! What the heck is wrong with people that they'd happily except this sort of thing, I would have felt just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be interesting to see if next year, this reindeer is spared this treatment.

    I hope that you encountered this scene while doing something fun for your husband's birthday this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be worried that those big antlers would get caught in the wire. I wonder where this animal lives when it isn't on display. I hope it has a nice big pasture and a herd to be a part of. I don't think they like to be alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're sticking up for the reindeer.

    I wonder why the handler thought a dog would enjoy being confined in such a small space. Very strange response on his/her part. And I see that the reindeer is muzzled. What dog likes that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is heartbreaking! You can look in his eyes and tell how miserable he is :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks so sad! Look at her eyes! My dog would have hated it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People are nuts. The country is full of stupids.

    If someone wants to look at reindeer tell 'em to head to Lapp Land!

    In other words, I agree with you!

    I'll bet you're glad to be heading south and west soon. You might want to think about staying there maybe until say June? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you and Grace. What hardware store is it. I will happy to send them an e-mail. I would like to put that manager in a crate and see how he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor little guy. I just read on yahoo how there is a "market" for renting reindeers for the holiday.
    Sad for the reindeer. Reminds me of going to the zoo, which always makes me feel a little sad, too. Which is also why I don't have a pet- no space. I know MANY people who have indoor dogs in apartments of all places. One of the girls at work just got an apt puppy. The only plus to that is that she got it from a shelter, and it likely would have been euthanized if she hadn't.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!