Monday, November 05, 2007

Weisman Museum

Probably my favorite building in the Twin Cities!

Frank Gehry, architect
In an article published in The New York Times in November 1989, architecture critic Paul Goldberger wrote of Frank Gehry’s work: “His buildings are powerful essays in geometric form and materials, and from an aesthetic standpoint they are among the most profound and brilliant works of architecture of our time.” Hallmarks of Gehry’s work are his populist approach; he has a particular concern for the ways people move through, and live and work comfortably in the spaces he has created. He insists that buildings address the context and culture of their sites.

It was Gehry’s ability to address the culture and needs of the University Art Museum that made him the perfect candidate to design the new Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum. Lyndel King, director of the Weisman Art Museum, said that Gehry was chosen as the architect, after a lengthy selection process, because he “showed that he really understood the mission and the dream of the museum.” Focusing on the traditions of the University and student needs, Gehry created a museum that is simultaneously accessible, functional, and intriguing, as well as immediately identifiable as belonging to the world of art. His design for the Weisman Art Museum won him a prestigious Progressive Architecture Design Award in 1991. (http://www.weisman.umn.edu/architecture/gehry.html)

19 comments:

  1. A remarkable archichture, as always with Gehry! In Paris we are also getting a new museum, created by him (LVMH- Luis Vuitton). Should be ready in 2010; Looks fantastic on the drawings we have seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:54 AM

    I like your photo today and I like the one yesterday. I was looking for the copyright logo. © but didn't see it. Should I go through it again for you or are you convinced you got it? LOL

    I did post some hummingbird photos yesterday at my website linked below.

    oldmanlincoln

    ReplyDelete
  3. j'aime beaucoup ce que fait Frank Gehry, et je trouve très original cette création. j'aime beaucoup. c'est comment à l'intérieur ?

    I really like what Frank Gehry, and I find this very original creation. I like very much. How it on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, what an extraordinary building. I'm sure it would be my favourite too. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo, Kate! I like the way Gehry emphasized making the building accessible and contextualizing it with its environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an impressive building! very different and beautiful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a theory about the evolution of the plan of whichever work or mechanical or architectonic, that is that from thing borne thing (Ita- da cosa nasce cosa).
    Nothing born spontaneous from the null one, otherwise we would gone on the Moon already in far away Middle Ages, or the Leonardo’s genius would not have let to escape a similar action.
    Without to remove something to the great Gehry's genius and in relation to exposed above, I think that this brilliant architect was planned a complex interesting indeed, but that some his carpenter has not very comprised his designs taking to the contrary or mixing plan’s sheets obtaining this chaotic wonderful master work.
    Livio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then if/when you visit Boston, you'll fall in love with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gehry does such fascinating work. I would love to see this in person. Great photo of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a great doco of his last year, by/with Sydney Pollock. I didn't realize there was one in Minnesota. Kind of makes me think of the Scottish parliament, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating building! Really different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting building. I would love to see inside!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate, beautiful shot. We have building design by Frank O Gehry too in Cleveland. Genius from of abstract I might say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the building looks so unique!

    it really caught my attention when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow, I love his work, first time I'm seeing this one. that mural above this is also great, such a strong feeling of bygone days when life was less hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It must be difficult to find fourniture for this kind of flat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This photo/building reminds me of the other Gehry structure at MIT that was in the news lately. Apparently, MIT is suing Gehry for the design because there were leaks in the building.

    The architecture is interesting, eye catching and thought-provoking but there are too many edges, which means there will be more places for eater to seep through.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen such a place. That would have me stopping and inspecting this place for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've inspired me, I went out Sunday and captured my own Gehry. I did a little post-processing to snap it up, but I'm happy with it. Take a look at the Weisman on Mitchster.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!