Monday, November 26, 2007

FScott Fitzgerald's Commodore Hotel



The Commodore
"The Commodore Hotel has been a landmark location in St. Paul for over 70 years. An early advertisement read "A high class Residential Service that features, among other things, the 'Homelike spirit' and a location in the most aristocratic and quiet section of the city." Socialites and flappers, businessmen, writers and artists of all sorts found their way to the Commodore, attracted by the same things then that appeal today... marvelous Art Deco decoration and comfortable furnishings, a wonderful location in a glamourous and convenient neighborhood and a relaxed, welcoming style that makes you feel right at home.

Prior to 1978 the Commodore was a residential hotel and home to such notables as F. Scott Fitzgerald and Sinclair Lewis. In 1912 Fitzgerald wrote: 'We got to the Commodore in St. Paul, and while the leaves blew up the street we waited for our children to be born.'"(From http://www.universityclubofstpaul.com/commodore.html)

The top photo is an older more familiar sign that St. Paulite's readily recognize, but the striped awning was added after major renovation and addition of residental units. If you would like to learn more about St. Paul's favorite son, FScott Fitzgerald visit this website, which is wonderfully informative. Want more? Check my earlier Fitzgerald unit with photos of his birthplace, school, and childhood homes, which begins here from November 10, 2006 to November 14, 2006.

14 comments:

  1. Totally unrelated..., but the thought that came to mind when I saw your first picture was this. I sign of the times, I know...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it look lovely, i always love old hotels because of their history

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:13 PM

    (Hang on, is it Monday where you are? grin grin)

    I really like the old sign in the first photo--though funnily enough the font (is that the right word here?) seems to be more from the 50s and not F Scott's and Sinclair's time...

    ps. yes what a surprise win for da good ol Bears! great game indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool looking place. Brings to mind images of classic automobiles standing by at the ready, with their chauffeurs waiting by the curb. Neat.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to peek to see what fenix was talking about...and there it was, my first computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh fascinating. I love your various postings on F. Scott Fitzgerald and thankyou for the link to the Trip that Fits.

    Interesting how hotels in cities become famous - witness the Algonquin in NYC.

    Left a message for you on Monte Carlo DP. Trying to get tickets for the jazz but doubt I'd be allowed to photograph in the Salle Garner (opera house).

    ReplyDelete
  7. merci pour le post sur cet hôtel qui fait parti de l'histoire de ta ville

    Thanks for the post on this hotel, which is part of the history of your town

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:41 AM

    Really a nice post Kate. I like the hotel photos and the verbiage about it makes it sound nice enough for the likes of me.

    Birds, Bugs and Beasts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like pusa, I like old hotels. The newer ones are all so cookie-cutter and without the charm. I'd love to see this one inside. . . .

    BTW. . .Thanks for your comment on my Civil War "book." I probably have written way too much, but I, too, find it interesting. If you want to tour the area, let me know. I'll be happy to show you around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always fun to learn something new. I've lived here my whole life, I never knew this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great information and I like the way the Hotel looks . Its historic flavor shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I squint I can see Zelda coming out the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sign in the first photo.
    I've never heard of the Commodore -always good to get new information on Jazz age autors :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. your post is so fascinating. I had no idea they lived there. It is so nice that the city still has this important building.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!