Monday, September 02, 2013

Weed and Seed Project


I've always said that I have learned so much about the world through blogging and reading other posts. This time I learned something about my own town.  I took a photo of this mural that is on a building on University Avenue and noticed that it was commissioned and funded by "Weed and Seed" so I researched those words and found that it is a national organization with a project in St. Paul.  Here is what I found:                                ***************************

1- Recently the Saint Paul Police Department received a $100,000 Weed and Seed grant from the State of Minnesota to be used in the Thomas-Dale/Frogtown neighborhood. Although the main focus of the Weed and Seed program is crime prevention, the goal of the Thomas-Dale/Frogtown program will include other neighborhood issues as well. It is hoped that eradicating some of the serious crimes in the neighborhood will lead to improvement in other areas as well. Engaging the area's youth, increasing voter turnout, neighborhood clean-up, and improving housing are some of the areas to be addressed.

2-The area chosen for the program is one of the most ethnically diverse in the city, and has a high population of youth. The ethnic make-up of the neighborhood has changed significantly since the 1990 census. It is estimated that 35% of the total residents presently living within those boundaries is Asian; Thomas-Dale/Frogtown now has the highest concentration of Southeast Asian residents in St. Paul. The community is home to the highest population of youth in St. Paul, 40% of its residents are under 18, and 70% of the youth are children of color.

3-Over 60% of the target area residents live in rental property. Median family income is $20,252. Single mothers head 40% of the households in the area. From 1980 to 1990 there occurred a 55% increase in the number of families living in poverty. Over 25% of the families live at or below the federal poverty line.

I, like many other blogger, tend to show the best about our city yet there are areas and lives that differ greatly from "the norm." I have to thank my photo blogging activities for taking me to other parts of town.

Linking to MONDAY MURAL




18 comments:

  1. To me the mural has an expression of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely painted mural, I can imagine it improves the image of the neighbourhood when there is some art to see. It must give people a nice feeling I think to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The camera is a GREAT teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through your curiosity I learned something new today also and I thank you. The mural makes for a nice Poster Person for the endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great mural and great lesson in venturing outside our comfort zone to discover worlds within our world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful mural and great backstory

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm hoping the project is successful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right about that, most photo blogs never venture into those parts of town that do not project it in the best light, although every town has some neighborhoods that could use some help. I think perhaps a theme day on this subject might be in order.
    It's a lovely mural.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great story behind this lovely mural and image!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great project and a really nice mural. We really do learn all kinds of things on this blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weed and Seed sounds like a great project. I wish there were more projects such as this in all cities across The U.S. and Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My camera has taken me in so many interesting directions! I love it when I'm unexpectedly learning something new, something I'd not otherwise have found. . .Nice mural!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to venture into the transitional neighbourhoods in my city. It's often more photographically interesting, but also the people who live there are so proud, yet frustrated at the city's slowness to help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome project and I love the mural.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for following your instincts to discover more about this! I had not heard about it till I read your information.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Venturing out into seldom visited neighborhoods is its own reward. As your mural shows. Like you, I end up googling for information that never would have captured my attention previously. So glad you found this mural and told us about Weed and Seed. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brava Kate..you are so right, we do tend to show the best, every city has its problem areas and we really should acknowledge them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weed and Seed grant funding is provided to the DC Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), which focuses on law enforcement and community policing, representing the "weeding" aspect of the strategy.
    weed

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!