Thursday, September 26, 2013

Talking Volumes


Edwidge Danticat opened the 14th season of Talking Volumes in the Fitzgerald Theatre in downtown St. Paul last night. This author's appearance coincided with the publication of her fourth novel,  Claire of the Sea Light. Although she has lived in the United States since age 12, the novel is set in her native land, Haiti, and the story intertwines the lives of residents of an impoverished fishing village near Port-Au-Prince. Danticat read two very short passages from the novel but spent most of the time on stage with host Kerri Miller of MPR discussing her craft and various aspects of her life. Delightful woman.


13 comments:

  1. Seems like it was a lovely event. I found out more about the book on amazon. I think I'll grab the kindle edition and give it a read.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read her book yet, but she certainly is significant in the literary world. If you read it. Let me know your reaction to it. Right now I am inundated with reading material and am instead trying to focus on learning a bit more about my own camera.

      Delete
    2. May I suggest my "Photography Literature" Page. Has great books on it, that helped me a lot: mersad-photography.blogspot.com/p/photogrphay-literature.html

      Delete
  2. Always nice the listen to an author about their work. Lovely portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a stimulating series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like how you enjoy a lot of things around you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must check to see if our public radio station carries this series. I've heard some author interviews but don't think I've heard "Talking Volumes." It sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I return to civilization...I hope to attend such series. sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She seems so young. I wonder if life experiences is where her ideas for writing come from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The newspapers are always listing author readings in this area, but I am too lazy to attend. You inspire me to give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack this program is more than a regular book reading, it's an event and a performance. I urge you go an author's book reading, however; some are very good, others not so much. . . depends on writer's personality, I guess.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like an interesting event. Nice shot too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!