Thursday, April 07, 2011

The Mask


Last Friday one of my former colleagues in the art department in the school where I used to teach had a pottery exhibit.  He had a very eclectic collection of art pieces, many of which I will show you in the coming days.  There were so many that I loved so I'm going to have to go back to the gallery to decide which piece I need for my casa.


APRIL POETRY MONTH POEM #7
WE WEAR THE MASK
by: Paul Laurence Dunbar (1872-1906)
      E wear the mask that grins and lies,
      It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes--
      This debt we pay to human guile;
      With torn and bleeding hearts we smile
      And mouth with myriad subtleties.
       
      Why should the world be over-wise,
      In counting all our tears and sighs?
      Nay, let them only see us while
      We wear the mask.
       
      We smile, but oh great Christ, our cries
      To Thee from tortured souls arise.
      We sing, but oh the clay is vile
      Beneath our feet, and long the mile;
      But let the world dream otherwise,
      We wear the mask!



11 comments:

  1. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tres beau masque bien accompagne par le poeme (meme si je pense que ma traduction n'est pas terrible)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:09 AM

    I really like masks, and this is a striking piece. Could easily see it on my walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie and I have a masks hanging in various rooms of our Scottsdale house, but none is ceramic. Your photo today is a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shot, Kate! I like the mask too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it will be hard choosing! Love the mask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very unique and powerful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this mask! (I knew that JB would too)... just a stunning piece of art... Show us what you buy for your maison.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kate, this mask might be a good choice . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm confident that I could find a nice spot for that ceramic mask in either my office or our home! Groovy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!