Monday, April 18, 2011

Donna Leon




Without question, Donna Leon is my favorite mystery writer.  Author of 20 novels, she is an American woman who has lived abroad teaching English for approximately 30 years, most of which time she has spent in Venice, the setting of her many novels and the city she loves.  I have read all of her books and have become involved with her main characters to the extent that I feel as though I know them as family. When she visited a Twin Cities bookstore recently I was quite charmed by her. Interestingly, she is also involved with an opera company in Italy which is largely supported economically by her, for whom music is a passion. To learn more about this woman, click here.

15 comments:

  1. huge following in Germany,too (mrs jb, for example) German Television has produced 16 Commissario Brunetti mysteries for broadcast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to say it, but she looks frighteningly like Bernie Ecclestone in the top image.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. j'aime bien ces romans policiers, tu as eut de la chance de la rencontrer et de faire des photos d'elle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Venice has captivated writers for centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read any of her novels. Maybe I'll give her a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks like a lovely & worldly woman! I love getting books signed! I see I miss a lot over here- I follow your SF blog, but I don't get updates for here- I'll sign up here too. Be back later to catch up more, gotta run off to work. Have a good day, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very interesting. I'm going to check out one of her books. I love mysteries set in beautiful foreign cities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link. I took a peek even though I'm not a mystery guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy a good mystery but have never read any of hers. I will now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting!!! I've not heard of her either...is there one in particular that you recommend starting with???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like interesting reading. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recommendation, Kate! I'll add it to my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read 3 or 4 Brunetti mysteries. They are pretty good. PLUS, they have Venice as a main character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to check her books out. Thanks for the tip, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun to have the opportunity to meet one of your favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!