Thursday, April 28, 2011

dulcis ‘sweet.’

The lobby of the new de Paul Tower at St. Joseph's Hospital in St. Paul certainly is a classy place!  While DH and I were leaving the Heart Center on the first floor, I heard the sweet dulcet sounds of a harp.  I introduced myself to the musician, Trudy Harper.

Her slogan is "Have Harp Will Travel." Trudy celebrates over 25 years as a featured performer in the Twin Cities' area for corporate events, senior and faith groups, weddings, non-profit and private celebrations.

Trudy says that among other outcomes, "playing my harp to sooth people who are mourning or in pain is among the most valuable work I do." Trudy plays her gentle harp at St. Joseph's every Wednesday from 11-1:30 pm.  Interested in learning more about this musician, author, and music teacher? Click here for her website.

14 comments:

  1. Crikey! If I was having a cardiac checkup and I heard a harp, I'd start looking around for "Pearly Gates this way" signs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. She look very professional, the sound of harp is not very known in a popular way, but is powerful and sweet, did you hear to this two magnificent players Andreas Vollenweider or Roberto Perera?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The harp is so relaxing and not often can musicians be found that play the instrument. That must be a welcome treat for visitors to the hospital; hope all is well with you and DH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of the harp and when I go to the Dallas Symphony I always find myself watching the harp player. She can be very dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has to be a very soothing sound!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The harp is definitely soothing! Sometimes I listen to harp music when I can't sleep. :)
    I often wonder how they carry those instruments around though. They don't look very portable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful. I've always found the harp to be heart-warming and soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate...re your comment on The Villages...

    I'm not sure how accurate such things are...but I'd guess there is a kernel of truth there. It was a fun, red sky at night and the weather has been perfect here ever since...so maybe it is true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful gift she gives. Harp music is such a peaceful sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JB is funny today... I love the soothing sounds of a harp. As a child I wanted to play the harp but it was expensive and not very "portable" so I opted for other instruments.

    Lovely portrait of this artist, my friend!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sounds are soothing, however NOT fast or loud enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This seems like a very caring thing for her to do. I'll bet the sounds of a harp are indeed soothing in this environment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Harp music is so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The harp has got to be one of the most beautiful sounding instruments. I am always in awe of the musicians that can bring it to life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!