Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lady Liberty


I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I saw this lawn ornament, carved from a fallen tree. It is quite large and is symbolic of our Statue of Liberty National Monument.

A poem by Emma Lazarus is graven on a tablet within the pedestal on which the statue stands in New York Harbor.

The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


Immigration has changed drastically since the French gave this statue to the United States. Currently both at home and abroad immigration is a hot topic with a divesity of opinions on how immigration should be legislated. I won't ask any of you to state an opinion on your country's policy because, like politics and religion, emotions on the topic are strong.

9 comments:

  1. WOW! That is an amazing piece of art work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an amazing thing to see outside a private house - usually the sort of thing you'd expect as a public art installation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we know how the homeowners feel about the immigration...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:41 AM

    That was a monumental tree. To get all of that out of the trunk really took some hard work. I hope they owners try to protect it so it doesn't dry out and split. Whoever did it was an artist to be sure. I really like it a lot.

    It poured rain yesterday and I took some photos through the windshield experimenting. And it is still raining this morning. I am anxious for warmer weather and flowers and things that go "buzz" in the night.

    Abraham Lincoln
    Brookville Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. cette statue en bois est magnifique et un superbe hommage à miss liberty. bravo à l'artiste


    this statue out of wooden is splendid and a superb homage to miss liberty. cheer with the artist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Wow! I had to suppress an urge to run to the roof and see whether our "lady with the lamp" was still standing in the harbor. For a moment, I thought she'd run off to St. Paul.

    Blather From Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool photo, what a great piece of carving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a unique way to preserve a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. its jus amazing how someone did the details! The spirit of the liberty lives on!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!