Monday, November 09, 2015

Red Wing Mural


There are a number of small towns close to St. Paul that are fun places to visit.   Red Wing, a town of 16,000 residents along the Mississippi River, is one of them. It is the home of Red Wing Shoes, Riedell Ice and Roller Skates and Red Wing Stoneware. This mural is painted on the wall of a building in its downtown.

Of the three well-known products, my favorite is Red Wing pottery that refers to American stonewarepottery, or dinnerware items made by a company initially established  in 1861 by German immigrant John Paul. It changed its names several times until finally settling on Red Wing Potteries, Inc. in 1936. The pottery factory that started in 1861 continues to the present day under the names of Red Wing Pottery and Red Wing Stoneware. There was a halt in production when Red Wing Pottery Sales, Inc. had a strike in 1967 causing them to temporarily cease trading. The company still makes both zinc/Bristol glazed products as well as salt-glazed, hand-thrown, kiln fired items. (Credit Wikipedia)

Go here for images of the pottery.

Linking to Monday Murals

21 comments:

  1. That street light is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of Red Wing shoes, but did not know about the pottery
    Interesting mural!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the jester is rather creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red Wing makes fine quality shoes. I should know I bought many pairs in my travels to the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the eagle flying over! I like the artist's style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a fun mural!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a pleasing mural to look at. Thanks for all that background into too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely mural Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Red Wing. We used to ride bikes down there in the summer time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great mural. I've never visited in this area. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the mural but hadn't heard of the shoes or the pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea Red Wing shoes were named for a town! Very interesting and I like the mural.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very pretty mural, don't know the shoes or the pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice mural. I looked up Red Wing stoneware and like that, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't heard of the shoes or the pottery. It is a pleasant mural!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the mural! I remember Red Wing shoes from a store where I went as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the brand and your mural.
    Thank you!
    Have a Great Week!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting --- I didn't realize that Red Wing was behind products other than shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too am a fan of Redwing pottery. Love the jester in your mural. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I immediately thought of Red Wing boots when I saw this post. I hadn't heard of the pottery but especially like some of the images of the older pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!