Saturday, August 25, 2007

Fallen Soldier

As I passed O'Halloran and Murphy's Mortuary on Snelling Avenue Friday afternoon, I noticed an overflowing parking lot as well as dozens of parked motorcycles and men and women holding American flags, lining the curb. I got out of my car and approached the entrance where there were uniformed, military honor guards beside the entrance doors. I was told that the funeral for a young Cambodian-American was being held at the moment. The young man had returned to the United States after successfully completing 18 months in Iraq, and then left to visit his Cambodian ancestral homeland. While there he was tragically killed in an automobile accident. The height of irony!

16 comments:

  1. Irony indeed. How terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these Harleys? Was he a Harley rider?
    Sydney Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:34 PM

    oh so tragic

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bit strange how your town & Providence have Hmong & Cambodian populations.
    They are such good citizens.
    They look like Harleys, Sally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:07 PM

    Irony. Wow. That is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somber reality, a tragic metaphor. Yet with the story, this shows prode in fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too stupid and sad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tragic waste of such a young life - life just isn't fair is it???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad story...
    I can be wrong but I think Harleys are made in Milwaukee?

    ReplyDelete
  10. its really very sad..and ironic. 18 months in war without any problem and then a car accident:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I beautiful picture, Kate. So glad his friends and buddies came to pay tribute. I am sure it was a comfort for his family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:50 AM

    I hate to hear stories like this. When I was in Ireland I went to the Queenstown story in Cobh, and there was a picto-story about a survivor of the Titanic who died as a soldier on the last day of WWI.

    Your photo is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's quite a sad story and reminds us that our end can come in the most unexpected way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sad. some serious testosterone and national pride in this shot, I have always been a sucker for a Harley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!