Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Milwaukee Avenue Historical Neighborhood


By chance I recently came upon this two block neighborhood, closed to vehicular traffic tucked away and hidden from a very busy business area on Franklin Avenue.   I was charmed by the houses, many of which have the same architectural design yet are distinguished from one another by individual colors with distinctive creative features by the homeowners.  While sitting on a bench in its centrally located small park,  I met one of the home owners who gave me some information on the neighborhood, saying that, like me, many people are surprised at its existence. If we were in the market for a home rather than downsizing as we are now doing, I would definitely want to move here! Interested in its history I checked the Minnesota Historical Society site and discovered some background historical information.  If you are interested too, click here.



18 comments:

  1. These beautiful buildings and surroundings make me want to paint them. Great find, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful houses, I always like those porches so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful neighbourhood, I love seeing people saving and restoring homes and neighbourhoods like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a pretty neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great find! I love places like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really cute homes! so, do they have back-alley entrances for their own private traffic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two parallel city streets, one on each side of the neighborhood. has some parking spots for visitors and residents plus I noticed some garages on these streets that must be are part of some of the homes.

      Delete
  7. You have found a secret tucked away in this neighborhood. I think that would be a nice place to live. I like the different touches that the owners have made to make their house their own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful flowering tree in the background. The houses are really nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the same question as TexWis, how do the residents access their homes. I've been to a few neighborhoods where all vehicles must go through an alley and park in the back I kind of like that concept.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A pretty area. These homes have character, and I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice that they saved them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I do like this neighborhood. It is similar to parts of the West End of Hartford.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful little neighborhood. I'd heard about it but I've never been there. Thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully restored, and what a lovely neighborhood to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely houses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet neighborhood! It looks very special.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!