Friday, February 11, 2011

An Apple A Day

Several years ago an art teacher in the school where I used to teach went through a stressful  period when a medical condition sapped her strength and energy. In order to keep painting, she decided to do one painting a day for a limited period of time. What to paint?

She grabbed an apple out of the refrigerator and explained, "I chose the apple for my first composition because of its simplicity and availability.  Completing a work in less than an hour and considering it a study was the goal."
Last night I went to the opening reception of her exhibition.  The paintings and drawings were arranged by calendar month and date.  Here you can see the art work for both January and November. Comparing the two months you can tell that the subjects became more varied and whimsical as time passed.

 Of course I bought one that she painted in July, but I won't show you my purchase for a few more days.  Stick around, come back tomorrow to see more.

Below these two you can see one of the paintings in the November collection.


13 comments:

  1. Cool. Reminds me of "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life" by Anne Lamott, one of my favoUrites

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is neat, I can only imagine the work and dedication required to do a painting every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, juicy art! I love how she made a colorful collage of differently painted fruit! Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really cool, Kate. I especially like the January painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great...can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fantastic! I recently posted on a similar
    Drawing A Day
    by a Winchester artist

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific. I like the progression from November to January. A good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so very appealing. I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. I eat at least one apple a day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm amazed at how a creative mind can do so much with an apple!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow my days are getting away from me. Sorry I missed this one. Looks like a great exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great and creative idea. Love the way her work progressed! I like your idea as well. Can't wait to see more of yours!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are fabulous. Isn't this just the greatest idea and how clever as she chose to undertake a 'possible' task per day. Unlike someone writing a book where it's totally daunting and so you do nothing...ie me! Love these paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!