Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ukrainian Pyrohys


The November issue of the Minnesota Monthly magazine identified little known places for some good food.  The century old Ukrainian parish of St. Constantine in northeast Minneapolis serves traditional pirogis in the school cafeteria on Fridays each September through April.  Wanting to taste this ethnic food, DH and I went there yesterday and were impressed with the number of people being served by a large group of volunteers.  René who has belonged to the parish all her life explained the food and served
us with a smile.






I had tasted pirogis in the USSR, and these are similar in appearance and texture, although one of the servers said that theirs are definitely superior to the Russians' pirogis! If you are not familiar with them, they are doughy half-moon  dumplings stuffed with potatoes, sauerkraut, and prunes., or anything else, I imagine. Frozen pirogis (which they call "pyrohy") are available to take out with instructions on how to cook them.

Reminder:  The theme day for November is "Heights."

17 comments:

  1. I'll sample anything but lamb. Nice portrait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lamb!! Much prefer it to pirogis, but I'll try any food once.. .or even twice.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a tasty treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rene is a beautiful young woman. As for the pirogis, I shall take your word for their tastiness. Sauerkraut? Really? And prunes? Really? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lowell, Actually, I found them "okay"--I wanted to see if I would like them better than my memory of those that I had sampled in the Soviet Union. Wasn't wild about either time, but my husband thought that they were delicious (topped with sour cream) so we bought a package of frozen pirogis for our son to try.

      Delete
    2. Well, I guess I'd give them a try if I was in a situation where they were available, but from the foods involved, I'd not look for such a situation! I've got enough "situations" to deal with. Heh, heh. Maybe your hubby is on too something. I've found that there are several foods made more palatable with a lot of sour cream! Have a great weekend! And thanks for your nice comment! I like your pictures, too!

      Delete
  4. i've had some stuffed w/ potatoes - major comfort food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the potato stuffed pirogis and used to buy them here but can't find them anymore. You made a nice portrait for the young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I went to Russia and the Ukraine during high school in 1968 (the USSR back then), the food was my least favorite part of the trip, although I was a picky teenage eater. I lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks, and I weighed less than 150 at the time and did not have a lot to lose. We were never served pirogis, though. We had a lot of borscht. I survived on bread and ice cream.

    A belated comment that I am glad you are back blogging and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. New to me...but sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ingredients sounds tasty. I would try one gladly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, Kate. You are an adventurer! (I hope the neck pain is now a receding bad memory . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them. I buy frozen ones in the grocery store once and a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thats a different combo of foods. I'd give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooh yumyum. i tasted the polish ones.. so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only had ones with potato filling and never with sour cream. The sour cream sounds like just the ticket. My father used to plop it on everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!