Sunday, March 11, 2012

"AND JESUS WEPT"

"And Jesus Wept"
Statue: (across from the Memorial Site) Behind St. Joseph Old Cathedral stands a shrine in remembrance of the April 19, 1995, bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. The focal point of the shrine is a statue of Jesus who faces away from the tragic sight; He holds His face in His hands in sorrow. 

 St. Joseph's Catholic Church. St. Joseph's, one of the first brick-and-mortar churches built in the city, was almost destroyed by the blast. Not officially part of the memorial, the statue is regularly visited.
Charles Porter's photograph of firefighter Chris Fields holding the dying infant Baylee Almon.


This is my sixth and final post of photos I took at the Oklahoma City Memorial Site, and I want to leave you with that last unforgettable image...one of the main reasons why I spent so much time on these posts.  It's an iconic image that I hope will never be repeated on our soil while, unfortunately, terrorist acts  are occurring all over the world. I grieve for all the victims of violence...past, present, and future!

12 comments:

  1. great photos! I must go back and look through the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A powerful posting, Great Kate! I love the memorial and the beautiful statue of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow a beautiful and powerful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kate, my heart is breaking seeing the last image, what chance do the innocent have in these shocking acts. No one should ever forget this sight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kate for this series of essays and photos about the tragic event that happened in OKC.
    I live in Yukon just a few short miles from the site. The blast rattled windows and doors on my home. Was called by a friend in another town and asked if I was watching TV as there had been an explosion in OKC. Tuned in, then went upstairs and looked out an East facing bedroom window and could see the smoke rising some fifteen miles away from downtown in OKC. As the days turned into weeks the rescue and finally recovery efforts were a constant in our lives. We lost friends and acquaintances in the tragedy.
    I have drove by the site several times fully intending to take photos and try to write a piece conveying my thoughts and feelings about the incident. Each time the emotions carry me on by. Maybe this will be the year I go?
    Thank you once again for the sensitive and respectable way you covered this story! parker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very moving series and a great sculpture with which to end it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sobering images, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a touching post. That statue of Jesus is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, moving photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and moving. I've enjoyed your look on my hometown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the first shot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!