Saturday, May 19, 2018

Special Superior



I consider myself very lucky to have had two Great Lakes as a part of my life.  I was born in a small town on the shores of Lake Michigan.  I recall the lullaby of the waves as I fell asleep and have a special feeling for the lonely sound of a fog horn.  As an adult, I settled in Saint Paul, an easy driving distance to the North Shore where my children, grandchildren, DH and I have spent many happy summer hours in Duluth and northern cities along Lake Superior, up to Canada. The autumn colours are spectacular, making any road trip breathtaking. Skiing at Duluth's Spirit Mountain in the winter is a challenge, especially when the wind made every effort to freeze one's eyelashes and eyebrows. Although I have an affinity for sea, sand and surf, I would not trade these experiences for permanent residence in a different, warmer place. Yet, on the other hand. . . . .

9 comments:

  1. These are beautiful and bring back good memories. I grew up on Lake Huron, in Lexington, Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now you're making me nostalgic for Minnesota. I lived in Duluth for several years and left for California in the 6th grade. I remember many wonderful things about Duluth, but didn't like the cold weather. And we also visited the North Shore often. My grandmother lived north of Virginia so we'd frequently visit her on her farm. Lots of fun times. I still get very emotional about Minneapolis. Love these shots. They remind me of some photos I took many years ago on a trip to Grand Marais. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit both these lakes are beautiful, but I am glad not to live along their shores. Use to live along Lake Michigan, and enjoyed sailing Lake Superior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These lakes are utterly magnificent, each in their own ways. I have the most personal experience with Lakes Ontario and Huron, then Superior, followed by Michigan and Erie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lakes are a beautiful source of inspiration. I loved my time on Lake Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those lakes are beautiful. Nice to have fond memories of where you grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living near the lakes sounds wonderful, but the freezing weather not so much. I like the weather in Ft. Worth. It is mild in winter and even when it is hot there is low humidity so the evenings are delightful.Yes, I do escape when the real heat sets in...like soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely scenery, I can see why you love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!