Wednesday, September 26, 2018

A Common Sign



This is a common traffic sign, but it is attached to a very uncommon, decorative  metal post. I was surprised to see this creative pole in a neighbourhood not far from my house.  As I drove around, I noted that there were several of these scattered on different corners.  I wonder how the city approved these, and I should probably make some calls to find out. I'm curious to learn how this happened.

ADDED LATER: This is a project which is part of a Public Art program, funded by the city of St. Paul. A neighbourhood group helped me identify the artist, Lisa Elias, a Minneapolis artist.  Read about her here.

Following is Elias' statement about these signs: Our goal is to re-imagine streetscape elements in residential neighborhoods, give them a visual purpose without loosing important function and reveal a place for beauty. This past summer I installed almost 100 forged stop sign post for the City of St. Paul in our efforts of making everyday objects a work of art.

Linking to signs, signs

15 comments:

  1. I agree that is surprising. One thing that fascinated me in America is that there are crossings where there are stop signs on all four roads of the intersection - a very rare thing in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very unusual...Can't imagine that got approved, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and it is too bad that it is surprising to us because it seems such an obvious solution to a boring pole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sign with flair!!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kate, this is a wonderful idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A piece of art for motorists. Nice one !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the creativity. It does look good and is much better than the usual pole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never have seen a decorative post like this holding a stop sign. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really beautiful, and so much more interesting than the "standard." I'll bet they're even nicer when the area is covered with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay Kate...we need you to seek out more of these sign posts...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't they fabulouso Kate.. they take street signs to a whole new level ✨

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!