Saturday, August 17, 2013

Meet Chico, St Police Police Dog






 Chico, a 7-year-old German Sheperd originally from Bulgaria,  has been in the St. Paul Police Force for six years and came to our annual Neighborhood block party, much to the delight of children and adults alike.  Chico played tug-o-war with the kids, but despite his strength, he was very, very gentle.  Very obedient; he obeyed  commands immediately.  Most of the police dogs in our city come from breeders in eastern Europe, the Czech Republic especially. Officer David Pavlak has trained Chico very well and had a delightful way with the children.  He answered their questions. instructed them how to approach strange dogs (first asking their parents for permission), and playfully involved them in approaching Chico. Having a dog that large and powerful around so many children would have made me a bit nervous but the officer had complete control. I felt a little apprehensive as Chico stared and then barked loudly at my camera, thinking it was just another toy (according to Pavlak).

Linking to Camera Critters

21 comments:

  1. All the way from Bulgaria? That makes me wonder if Chico understands commands in two languages. I'm impressed that Chico obeys commands immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dogs and Chico would be my first choice if he were available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child a I always was afraid if these dogs, they were so big, like a wolfe. But now I am more familiar with dogs, you made a beautiful picture of him with your "toy".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! We had a German Shepherd when our son was little and it was a beautiful dog, but had a mean streak and finally we got to the place where we had to get rid of him so we gave him to people who owned a ranch near us in Arizona. He wouldn't let Lois near our son if she wanted to discipline him and he tried to attack friends who came to visit!

    When I taught American history, I'd bring in Vietnam vets to talk to the kids about the war and sometimes we had German Shepherds also - these were descendants of dogs who fought in Vietnam. 2900 dogs served in Vietnam. Most of the dogs at that time came from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they are such intelligent dogs - and i admire a good handler, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful dog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a block party? What fun! These dogs are so amazing! Not just police dogs but all working dogs. I love to see the loyalty shared between the dog and the handler. You got some beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder why the dogs all come Eastern Europe? Pretty dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chico is a wonderful dog. So good with the children, I know they all loved him! Great shots and post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:36 PM

    He's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job capturing the alert eyes of Officer Chico. A loyal co-worker I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of the shepherds from Bulgaria before (our daughter and SIL are police officers) and they have a good blood line.
    A large dog even that well trained would have me nervous with little ones around too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to see your post today. One of my friends is a K9 deputy sheriff named Varro. He's an amazingly well-trained and effective partner to his human deputy sheriff, but he's just as friendly with everyone when he's not on duty, like your post has shown that Chico is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These dogs are terrific. They provide a very important service.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful shot of him. Much as I love dogs, I would have been unnerved at his bark, too. It's good of his handler to teach the kids doggie etiquette and to let him play with them. It's a good education.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am happy that he didn't play tug of war with your camera! Beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to admit I'm a little nervous of big dogs Kate, but Chico looks s very well trained.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos! German Shepherds are wonderful dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Handsome dog! We had a German shepherd when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super dog, I like German Shepards.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!