Saturday, November 05, 2011

Karl and Lexie-Camera Critters









Even though I have this photo on my sidebar I thought that you should know more about my grand-dog Lexie
 who is a canine Shiba Inu, a breed which originated in Japan.  Son Karl adopted her about two years ago
from an animal rescue shelter.  Lexie had been abandoned as a puppy, and lived in the dump on the
Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota.  Before she was one year old, she had given birth to puppies;
all but one died.  Some kind soul picked her up and Lexie was taken to an animal shelter in the Twin Cities where
she was checked by a veterinarian and spayed. Karl found her image on an internet site.  He met Lexie and her
foster mother at a dog park in Minneapolis, fell in love with Lexie and adopted her.  She has been a part of our
family ever since and spends an inordinate and happy time with our much older Maggi, our own rescue dog.  Lexie
is a loving, often mischievous dog but has her fears, one of which is a terrified reaction to cameras.  Who knows?!


Our first dog, Loki, was a Norweigan Elkhound (still my favorite breed), but being animal lovers we made a
conscious decision only to adopt and own abandoned or neglected dogs.  We've even fostered some (with
 hilarious results)...Maggi was our first foster dog, but we couldn't part with her.  Long story short...have a  heart
and adopt one of these many, many animals that need a good home.  I guarantee that you will never regret it!!


To see more camera critters, go here.

15 comments:

  1. So good principle Kate!
    Good weekend to you and yours!
    Greetings also from Kiki to Lexie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a marvelous picture, Kate. We are nearly overrun with our rescues, but love each and every one of them. I always think of their sad background stories and marvel that they ended up with such happy lives! Thank you for this fine post, and for encouraging people to adopt shelter pups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lexie is beautiful and looks adorable! Love Maggi too!
    Did you know that my dearest Flora also had fear of camera? I did not know why...

    PS: Did you remember that I post your dear Maggi's photo on my post Pets Part III in 2008? The link is this:
    Pets Part III"

    Have a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute doggie with its master! Nice portrait, Great Kate!
    Yes, you've got yourself a deal - coffee, treats & a plate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:18 AM

    What a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post! There are so many wonderful pets out there looking for someone to love and be loved by. They are easier than ever to find. The picture shows such love and trust and happiness. My little rescue dog isn't thrilled about cameras either but he is getting used to it. He is also getting used to the silly hats I put on him sometimes when I take his picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful canine! And what a story. We have decided, also, that our next dog will be a dog that needs to be rescued!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:16 PM

    What a wonderful story! Lexie is so lucky. My camera critter this week is about our rescue dog Chance!

    Here's my rescue critter ...
    http://butterybooks.com/?p=1051

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good message. The dog looks like it is thinking "I am a dog. What am I doing up on his shoulders?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am afraid my dog-owning (or dog-hosting, to be PC) days are over. We have two houses and we travel a bit, and dogs don't seem compatible with this stage of life. That is too bad. We loved the dog we had when our kids were young . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many of my friends have rescue dogs and not one has been a disappointment. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I am sooooooo glad you are together ~ Wonderful dog! ~ thanks, namaste, CArol (A Creative Harbor) Fur Person Femetale

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's a lucky girl to be part of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:14 AM

    What a beautiful girl she is! Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lexie is gorgeous and what a lovely photo, Kate. I don't know anything about Shibu Inu but think they were/are used for guarding. For that reason I've not taken them at Pension Milou but perhaps you'll tell me they have adorable temperaments.

    You are right - always adopt from a refuge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!