Monday, May 22, 2017

Some Fitzgerald homes


The weather in St Paul for the past week has been relentless rain; I haven't been able to get out to F. Scott's old neighbourhoods to take new photos so I have to rely on old archive photos for a few days.
                                   *************
For five years, Fitzgerald and his family lived in three different houses on this block on Holly Avenue, one of which has been torn down. When his father's financial problems began the family lived in an apartment pictured here as well as Grandmother McQuillan's large house, shown above. Later he used material from these childhood years to write magazine stories.
                                  *********************
I feel very fortunate to restart the series at this time because on Wednesday, the author and photographer of another book  about Fitzgerald will have a launching party  at the Commodore Hotel, a St Paul landmark frequented by F. Scott and his friends. I'll be there! I'll include a photo of that building at a later date.  In the meantime, enjoy this Amazon photo of the new book.  

F. Scott Fitzgerald in Minnesota: the Writer and His Friends at Home.


9 comments:

  1. I am always interested in the background of writers. I like to see his houses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you are looking forward to that book launch. I can't wait to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting facts about this well-known author, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this photo and this house. Reminds me so much of my childhood. I'll bet that new book will be of great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I had no idea Fitzgerald ever lived in Minnesota. How neat to see the homes and I'm sure the new book will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always enjoyed the writing of Fitzgerald. I have a cousin named Scott after him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like grandma's house had plenty of rooms. I have never been to a book launch....Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandma's house is quite elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's quite a distinguished looking place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!