Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Theme Day, September, 2015-Curiosities

Buoy and Sinker


Buoys have long helped in guiding ships safely to and from the port of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Numerous buoys are maintained by the Coast Guard to ensure that vessels can safely navigate the waters of Sturgeon Bay. This buoy has a cast iron sinker attached to it by a mooring chain. The letters "US LHE" indicates that this particular sinker was manufactured by the United States Lighthouse Establishment. The identifier dates the sinker to the mid-1850's.

Go here to see some curious and sometimes bizarre September Theme posts.

19 comments:

  1. If it has sinker, does that mean the buoy is hollow? I think the only time I remember seeing them is in horror movies right before the victim gets it by the shark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colours on this. I think the sinker is there to hold it in place...like an anchor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so this is what one looks like out of water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the sea birds call them rest stops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I had to think about a buoy accompanied by a sinker. They seem as opposites to each other. One to float and bob, and the other to ... umm ... sink. Very curious how the two become inseparable. I am gathering that the sinker, but not th buoy, is dated in the 1850s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EVERYTHING has a history, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting photo, Kate, I've never seen one out of water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to see plenty of these along the Mississippi when I grew up in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like that old buoy has retired Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So that's what the underwater side of it all looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, you're full of curiosities these days! These buoys are so very important to safe water navigation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So that is what keeps them in place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the bright color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmmm, you're making me feel as if I was in Quimper. Red and green, port and starboard. Wish I was sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the red!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How interesting. You wouldn't want to run into one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only seen these from the top side. Nice to see it whole with its sinker.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!