Sunday, September 20, 2015

Oktoberfest


Detlef at Oktoberfest
86 year old year Detlef from Red Wing, Minnesota was enjoying Oktoberfest in downtown St. Paul when I met him in Rice Park.  Born in a town in northern Germany near the Elde River, he immigrated to the United States when he was twenty but moved to Red Wing when he was 26, living in that small Minnesota town for the past 60 years. Jim practiced his halting German a little bit with Detlef, but most of their conversation was in English.  Having some serious health problems typical of his age,  he wasn't entirely happy with our health care. Not a complainer, though, he was a friendly  man, enjoying the music, food, and the sunny day.  Discussing our ages, he told me that he would gladly wait for me to catch up with him.




11 comments:

  1. What a nice posting. Always nice to meet interesting people via our blog community. He looks very German with his clothes and hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your man on the street shots....and sounds like he liked you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. his face reminds me of my mother's - full-blood german, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sounds delightful. I think you were the winner here in making his acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun fellow to meet and talk with. I love his very German hat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see someone of his age out and about. Re your comment. Aqui Jesus es Haysus. Amigo bueno. Pero Haysus drink too mas tequila! (And I need a Spanish refresher course!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I find I'm catching up with the "older" set far faster than I'd like!
    Detlef looks like he has all the right regalia for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He still looks like a real German with his tradtional costume, friendly face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He looks like a pleasant fellow. He's still out & about and that's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good-natured looking guy. Funny that he is wearing a hat with all of those pins. I wonder if that is a German thing or an American thing he has adopted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!