Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Norwegian Hardanger Violin-"H" ABC WEDNESDAY


Hardanger Fiddle
An 8-string Folk Violin
Norwegian Player



On Sunday, August 26, DH and I attended a concert at Mindekirken Norweigan Church in Minneapolis.  I had never heard a Hardanger fiddle and enjoyed the music.  The eight string instrument sounds a lot different from a classical violin. "Four of the strings are strung and played like a violin, while the rest, aptly named understrings or sympathetic stringsresonate under the influence of the other four, providing a pleasant haunting, echo-like sound."

Vidar Segnitz from Haugesund, Norway was one of the accomplished musicians.  I was amused to learn that the Norweigan-born father of a friend of mine is not a fan and said that it sounds like cats fighting.  It must be an acquired taste!

To see  more ABC WEDNESDAY posts, click here.

16 comments:

  1. il est magnifique ce violon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and what a love instrument. I'd love to hear it played!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This violin looks beautiful but I can only imagine how it sounds. So interesting, the idea of understrings resonating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful woodwork, not sure I want to hear cats fighting though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what a work of art that instrument is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard it, but it is visually beautiful & speaks of a rich cultural heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece. I would love to hear the sound.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of or seen such an instrument.

    Once Julie and I attended a concert at St. Chapelle in Paris performed on early instruments, from the middle ages. It was a rare opportunity to hear and see instruments that were forerunners to the instruments of classical music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent violin and great photos ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice seeing Hardanger fiddle since I live in Norway. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a HANDSOME instrument!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  12. The violin looks beautiful! Sounds the concert was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice craftsmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to hear how it sounds someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A bit like the bagpipes Kate, I'm a Scot so I appreciate them..a lot don't haha! this is such a beautifully crafted instrument, surely something that looks so good can't sound too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Hardanger violin! It's a Norwegian folk tradition and treasure - says Leif the Viking in Eagan
    We've been to Mindekirken for several worship services and other events!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!