Saturday, August 30, 2014

Surgery at the Fair


 Another big draw for me at the Minnesota State Fair is the veterinary surgeries.  Vets donate their time to demonstrate the necessity of spaying and neutering our pets.  I observed the spaying of an approximately eight-month-old black cat, starting with the pre-op preparations by technicians (behind glass as we observed on the bleachers) to the actual surgical procedure enlarged for the audience on televisions.  The following photos show the incision and removal of the ovaries before the uterus was removed and then the final stitching by the good doctor.  Fascinating!!

13 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could watch the operations but I heartily approve of spaying and neutering of cats and dogs. I love pets but I hate to see so many unwanted puppies and kittens dropped off in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea but I ain't watchin! Where the cotton candy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very educational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, my! have never heard of this being a fair demonstration! i'm not into medical stuff at all, but i'm sure many folks would be intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, that's something you don't see every day, even at a state fair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed that they do that at the state fair! I have observed, literally, thousands of surgeries in my many years as the office manager of a veterinary hospital, but we never thought of doing at the fair. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! This attraction is not for me Kate, all that blood :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I could sit through those either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew this happened at the Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father was a veterinarian, and my mother helped him. When she was away, either my sister or I did it. Not something I like re-living, however valuable the service is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not something I would want to see at a fair.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear...I. Have to turn away when they surgery on t.v.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen sugery performed where the public is invited! Or at a fair! It seems a bit bizarre.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!