Sunday, July 05, 2015

Disrsuption



What the city considered "necessary" reconstruction of Randolph Avenue in Highland Park in St. Paul, many of the businesses, customers, and home owners label it as a disruption. One owner of an independent coffee shop said that despite the continued attendance of loyal patrons he estimates that he has lost more than $7,000 in sales since the work started a month and a half ago.  He also figures that he has lost 60 percent of drive-by customers since the start of the construction, and, as a result,he has had to cut hours and lay off staff.

I am disrupting my normal routine and going Up North for a few, too-short mini vacation days  to a housekeeping cabin with no wifi, tv, phones and a limited kitchen.  I'll spend my time reading on the porch overlooking Lake Superior and eating at the wonderful Scenic Cafe! (Check the menu-Num)

1889 Jean Cocteau

15 comments:

  1. Those constructions always are set up in summer and last for ages. Have a nice time without wifi and lots of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember the never-ending roadwork in Minnesota in the summer! Have a good time at your retreat the the Scenic Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small businesses are often the casualties of so called progress, must be difficult! Kate have a lovely 'tech free' break.. I can't tell you how appealing the thought of sitting on the porch reading is to me right now, something to think about for sure. Hope you enjoyed your 4th July celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Road construction and repair seems to be a never ending project.
    Have a refreshing vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my that mini-vacation sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great break!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sort of disruption seems to happen all too often. Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nowadays we seem to find everything disruptive, and that includes me. But some things need to be done... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "So sorry. My mistake."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds to me like you will be spending a few days in Shangri-la! n I'm feeling envious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not a fun Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know these disruptions are necessary, but I dislike them nonetheless...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It reminds me of street overhaul projects here in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let's hope that the pain of the reconstruction is short term and the benefits are long term.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!