Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Kilbane-ABC WEDNESDAY "K"

 Hey, is it legal to use an image found on the internet? I want y'all to see what I have discovered with the help of a nephew so far in my early geneaology search for these ancestors.  I haven't unearthed much else because the Kilbanes from County Mayo are an illusive lot.  We are going to Ireland next June and will stop at Achil Island, which is the origin of our branch of Kilbanes.  We have an ancestor born in 1785 on the island, but don't know in which village, but we will stop while in Ireland.  Seems that there are 37 households of Kilbanes there currently so perhaps one of them can help us. It seems that our branch of the family left during the potato famine.  I've learned quite a bit about Ireland since I started on this research journey but it is VERY time consuming.  PS.  If you know any Kilbanes, have them contact me!!


KILBANE
The name Kilbane is derived from the Gaelic Mac Giolla Bhain sept who were of the 'Ui Fiachrach' in Ireland. They were located in North Connaught Province and especially in County Sligo and can still be found there in some numbers to this very day.


Linking to ABC WEDNESDAY and Irish Surnames

20 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, you are preparing yourself very well I see. We have been on Achill island too, there are not many houses there I remember, only nature and peet. Hope you will find a relative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll find out more in Ireland. Sounds like that's going to be a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, one of those is copyrighted, so i'm not sure. if you gave a link to your sources, that would surely be a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll have more chance of finding info when you're actually there Kate, the Kilbane shield is quite dramatic in its colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be fun to trace your roots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking family crest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive shield !

    PhenoMenon, ABCW Team
    http://throodalookingglass.com/2014/09/kathakali-makeup/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting! Hope you discover your roots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That will be a great job to find the ancestors of your family.I hope you keep us informed how you are doing.
    Have a great time in Ireland.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
  10. To your original question: it depends who owns the copyright.

    Nifty emblems.


    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:56 PM

    What great family Crests...is that what you call them. How fun to have Irish roots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went looking for my Daly branch when I first went to Ireland but wasn't successful. I learned at the time (late 1990s) that Ireland was investing a lot in genealogy as part of its economic development. I'd be surprised if they haven't moved leaps and bounds since then. I think there are archives at Trinity College in Dublin if you plan to be anywhere close to there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genealogy is a fascinating hobby and you find your family spreads far and wide. Good luck with finding more Kilbanes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I expect you'll enjoy Ireland thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the shield on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The crest on the left has a copyright notice, so I would start putting my affairs in order and preparing my pitch for leniency.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I live in Liverpool UK . which is just across the Irish Sea from Ireland,
    There are a lot of Kilbane families in Liverpool so that may help in your research! There if a well known former footballer called Kevin Kilblane, he played for our team Everton and had a fine career internationally playing for Ireland ! Most Liverpool people ore of Irish descent, after the Potato Famine, many impoverished Irish families moved over to Liverpool for a better life,
    Good luck with your research,
    best wishes,
    Di.x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Genealogy is a passion of mine too, but it does take many hours. The trip sounds fantastic, hoping you discover lots of information.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!