Tuesday, October 18, 2011

ABC WEDNESDAY-"N"-100 % Naturally Grown Zizania Aquatica


The above packages of wild rice which are "100% Naturally Grown on Lakes and Rivers" in Minnesota are sold at the St. Paul Farmers' Market.  There are other outlets for this grain, which is a highly prized gourmet delight, sold throughout the Twin Cities.  If you're smart, you'll pass up the cultivated wild rice and get one of these packages instead.

"This water-loving grass produces a nutty-flavored seed that is eaten by humans and waterfowl. Once found throughout Minnesota, it has been an important part of the lives and culture of American Indians who have lived in the Great Lakes region long before the arrival of European immigrants. Today it is Minnesota's official state grain.


Wild rice is an annual plant, meaning that it dies in the fall. Seeds that fell in autumn take root in spring under water, and then the shoot grows to above the surface. Starting in late August, the seeds ripen gradually from the top down and fall into the water. Because it is an annual, people who harvest the plant in the wild let some seeds fall into the water so wild rice populations can survive." (Credit: Minnesota Department of Natural Resources)


IMPORTANT

How To Tell The Difference Between Real Indian Wild Rice and The Fake Stuff!
Authentic northern lakes wild rice is thinner then the commercially grown paddy wild rice and can be a light gray to an almost light green in color. It is not tough but very tender and has a very natural tasty nutty like flavor and only takes about 20 minutes to cook. The real Indian Wild Lake Rice cannot be grown in paddies. True Indian Rice only thrives in these cold crystal clear northern spring fed rivers and lakes of the Great Lakes region that was home to the Chippewa Indians. Real Indian Wild rice is sensitive and will not grow in stagnant waters.

REAL HAND HARVESTEDINDIAN WILD RICE
PATTY GROWNCOMMERCIAL RIC
Credit: http://www.indianwildrice.com/

Wild Rice harvesting on reservation land is strictly controlled; to see photos of an authentic harvesting, click here.


To see more ABC Wednesday post, click here.


21 comments:

  1. Gosh what a difference in the colours of the two rices. I've never cooked wild rice, only brown rice, which I eat often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to love rice, this looks delicious, it's gotten to the point where I can't even bring myself to eat white rice, I recently got some black rice at a farmer's market and it was delicious. I may have to get some of this real wild rice. thanks for the info about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is a fascinating and well-done post! I'm sure I've eated the wild rice when living up that way but at the time didn't care much about the differences. Very interesting and informative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wild rice! When I was in Jackson, we got bags of it from one of our agents in Minnesota every Christmas. I don't know if it was "authentic" but it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds delicious. Thanks for all of the information!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not so fond of rice, but I am always willing to learn something new about food and this is very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like wild rice very much. I'll be watching to make sure I get the genuine wild rise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great info on this rice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wild rice I ever ate...Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting and very informative post. Nice photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only seen the commercial stuff. Very informative.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the taste of wild rice. People in Japan got kind of freaked out when I gave them some.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed your post. I remember seeing a tv programme of people out in canoes and knocking rice off the plants, but I haven't tasted any, at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting post, Kate. I don't know much about rice and there are plenty of rice fields in Portugal, although they are not as beautiful as all I've seen in SE Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite kind of rice!

    Nostalgic, is one of my ABC entries. Come by any time you get a chance. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate thanks for the information and how to tell the difference between the truly wild and the commercially wild.
    HelenMac
    ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, this is news to me! And I was feeling I had the "real" thing with the commercial stuff! You can really see the difference with the side-by-side pictures. I don't know if I've ever seen the real deal. . .not even sure if it's available on the west coast. Hmmmmmm. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was REALLY neat and interesting. I so believe in farmers markets! Wish yours was closer to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the information. I didn't realize there was a difference. I think I would enjoy the flavor of the Real Wild rice far more than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a difference in the two - great post

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog; I appreciate it! Come back often!!